Tofu chicken nuggets can be made both in fry and baked form. Whatever method you use, the taste of the nuggets remains as tasty. The softness of tofu and the crunchiness in the coating make a perfect combination in any meal.
|Prep time||1 hour|
|Cooking time||30 to 35 minutes|
|Total time||1 hour 30 minutes|
Nutrition Information: per serving
Ingredients: 3 servings
- 14 oz firm tofu
- ¼ cup soy milk
- Two and a half tablespoons of nutritional yeast
- One teaspoon of garlic powder
- Kosher salt (to taste)
- Two tablespoons of soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon hot sauce
- ¾ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Two tablespoons of grapeseed oil or any oil
- One tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 ½ teaspoons paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoons onion powder
- One teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- One tablespoon of olive oil
- ¾ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne
- ¼ cup barbecue sauce
- ¼ cup honey mustard
- Wipe the tofu with a paper towel.
- Then, press them with an iron pan for 20–30 minutes.
- After pressing, keep the tofu in a freezer for 6 hours by covering it with a wrapper.
- Place them in a microwave oven for 10–15 minutes.
- Get thin tofu by tapping them for more than 20 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make a mixture of soy sauce, yeast, garlic powder, and salt.
- Mix hot sauce, soy milk, and apple cider vinegar into the mixture.
- Split the tofu into bite-sized nuggets.
- Dip the tofu in the margination mixture and let it sit for 30 minutes or more.
- Combine flour and cornstarch in a small bowl.
- Make a mixture of bread crumbs, garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, and salt in a bowl.
- Then mix pepper and cayenne in it. You may add olive to this mixture to get a crispy texture.
- Place the tofu nuggets into the flour mixture.
- And then coat with the breadcrumb mixture.
- Adjust the temperature of the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Transfer the nuggets to a baking sheet. Spray some cooking oil on them.
- Start baking for twenty minutes.
- Turn them halfway and cook again for extra 10 minutes.
- Serve the tofu nuggets warm.
If you want to consume less salt, use low soy sauce in the mixture.
Dos and Don’ts:
If you want to fry the tofu nuggets, put the tofu in hot oil for 3 to 5 minutes. When you find a brown texture, remove them from hot oil and serve with dipping sauce.
Watch: How to Make Tofu Meat Look and Taste Like Chicken
Frequently Asked Questions
Is tofu healthier than chicken?
It depends on what factors you are considering. Tofu is often considered a healthier substitute for meat because it is lower in saturated fat and cholesterol and higher in protein. However, chicken is a good source of vitamin B12 and iron which tofu lacks.
Is it okay to eat tofu every day?
Yes, it is generally safe to eat tofu every day. In fact, some experts recommend including soy products like tofu in your diet for its potential health benefits.
Is tofu easy to digest?
Tofu is generally considered easy to digest because it is a plant-based protein that is low in fat and fiber. However, some people may have difficulty digesting soy products and experience gas or bloating.
Can tofu make you gassy?
Yes, tofu can make you gassy because it contains oligosaccharides, a carbohydrate that can be difficult for some people to digest. However, this varies from person to person and some may not experience any digestive discomfort from consuming tofu.
Making tofu chicken nuggets is a great alternative to meat-based chicken nuggets. It is a healthier option, tasty, and easy to make. You can make them by either frying or baking them, and the result will still be delicious.
By following the step-by-step process provided above, you can also be sure that the nuggets will turn out crispy and flavorful. So, the next time you’re looking for a tasty yet healthy snack or meal, try making tofu chicken nuggets. Also, check out our article on the best chicken nuggets for more tasty chicken nugget options.
Chester’s expertise in air fryer cooking stems from her belief that air frying is one of the healthiest and most convenient cooking methods. Her recipes are designed to make the most of the air fryer’s unique cooking properties, producing crispy and delicious meals without excessive oil.