Air fryers cook food quickly without oil or grease. They use convection heat to circulate hot air around the food. This method works well for foods like fish, vegetables, and even meat. You don’t need to worry about splattering grease onto the stovetop or oven.
The best part about air frying is that you can make healthy meals. Air fryers are great choices for people looking to eat healthier. A study published in the Journal of Food Science found that air frying resulted in lower levels of saturated fat and cholesterol compared to conventional frying.
Table of Contents
- Chicken breasts are an easy way add protein into your diet. But you don’t have to cook anything else. Just season them up and pop themem in the oven.
- They’re delicious and nutritious. And they make great leftovers.
- Seasoning blends work well with them too. Try one of our favorites:
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Season the chicken before cooking helps keep it moist.
- When cooking chicken, don’t overdo it. Cook it until done.
- Mix it together and sprinkle over your chicken breast. Air fry at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes per pound.
- Chicken should be cooked through. If you’re unsure about how much longer to cook it, use a thermometer.
One serving of air fried chicken has only 140 calories and 3 grams of fat. It also contains less than 1 gram of sodium. It’s also high in fiber and low in sugar.
To store, refrigerate chicken breast in an open container for four days. Reheat gently in the oven at 350°F for 20 minutes per pound. Freeze cooked chicken in an air tight freezer safe container for up three months. Thaw over night in the refrigerator prior to cooking.
You can use any type of seasoning blend on your chicken. We recommend using a simple mix of spices.
If you want to get creative, try adding some herbs and spices to your chicken. Or go wild and experiment with different flavor combinations.
This recipe makes enough for two servings. So you’ll have plenty of leftover chicken for lunch the next day.
Reheating Air Fryer Chicken
After cooking, let the chicken rest for five minutes before reheating. This will help prevent it from drying out.
Place the chicken back in the air fryer and bake at 350°F for 10-15 minutes per pound.
- Use this recipe as inspiration for other dishes. For example, try baking the chicken instead of air frying.
- Or serve it alongside pasta or rice.
- Try making chicken salad by mixing it with mayonnaise, lettuce, tomatoes, and celery.
- Make a sandwich with it.
- And if you really love it, try dipping it in ranch dressing.
How Long to Cook Chicken in Air Fryer?
Cooking time depends on the size of your chicken breast. The smaller the piece, the faster it cooks. Air fryers usually come with a timer. Use it to check when your chicken is ready. If you don’t have a timer, look for the “done” indicator light.
When it turns green, your chicken is finished. Check the temperature of your chicken after cooking. You can do this by inserting a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the breast. When the internal temperature reaches 165°F, your chicken is done.
- Smaller pieces take less time to cook.
- Medium sized breasts take between 15 and 25 minutes.
- Large breasts take between 25 and 35 minutes.
Once your chicken has cooked through, remove from oven and set aside for five minutes, then tent with foil so the meat continues to cook evenly.
According to food safety regulations, when removing cooked chicken from the air fryer, it should be removed at 160-degress Fahrenheit. But if you wait until the chicken reaches 165-degress before taking it out of the air fryer, the residual heat will keep the chicken warm even after it leaves the air fryer.
Chicken is Undercooked
If you find that the chicken is not cooked through after 3 minutes, then put it back into the oven and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
Do I Need to Use Oil to Air Fry Chicken Breasts?
Oil helps the chicken brown better during the first few minutes of cooking. However, we recommend skipping the oil altogether.
Air fryers are designed to work without oil. They’re equipped with sensors that detect moisture in the air. These sensors automatically adjust the heating elements accordingly.
What kind of Seasonings Should I Use?
The best way to season your chicken is to make a spice mixture ahead of time. Mix together 1/2 teaspoon each salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cayenne, and chili powder. Store in an airtight container.
This recipe is easy to follow and very versatile. Please share it with friends who might like it too. It’s perfect for busy weeknights. And because it uses only four ingredients, it’s also economical. We hope you enjoy this recipe.
Meet our air fryer recipe expert, Jenny J. Brown. Jenny is a culinary enthusiast with a passion for creating healthy, delicious meals using the latest kitchen appliances. As an experienced home cook and food blogger, Jenny has spent years experimenting with air fryer recipes and perfecting her techniques to create meals that are both nutritious and satisfying.