How To Make Fish Batter With Cornmeal – A Proven Method
How to Fry Fish in CornMeal
To make a tasty and crispy meal, you may fry or bread any fish. If the question is fried fish, you need to use the important type of bread for this type of fish.
A good choice is pub style beer batter. Some people like to get a lighter dry breading prepared with cornmeal.
The cornmeal breading takes few time than the beer batter and may be used for oven baked fish.
Things You’ll Need
- Frying pan or deep fryer
- Large prep bowls
- Paper towel
Mix flour, cornmeal, salt, chili powder, pepper and garlic in a baking pan or a shallow bowl. Beat egg and water with the fork until well blended in a medium bowl.
Then dip fish fillet into cornmeal mixture, coat all sides of fillet. After that, dip in egg mixture. Again dip the cornmeal mixture.
Use medium heat in a big skillet. Fry coated fish two to three minutes per side as long as the fish flakes normally with the fork.
- Use one-inch oil in the deep fryer or frying pan. The level of oil must be high more to submerge the fillets of fishes. Keep the frying pan on the stove with using medium-high heat up to 375 degrees F. If you use the deep fryer, heating up to 375 degrees is enough.
- Fill a bowl with cornmeal and another big prep bowl with milk. Season the cornmeal with pepper and salt to taste.
- Dip fish fillets in milk. It adds moisture to the fish and aids the cornmeal stick. Dredge the fillets in the cornmeal mixture up to completely cover it.
- Drop the coated fish with caution to the hot oil and cook it until it gets crispy and brown. You do not need to use heat for more than 5 minutes. A fork normally goes through the fish if it is well or fully cooked.
- Take out the fish with a pair of tongs. Keep the fish on the paper towel to soak up additional oil. Then serve it quickly.
Cornmeal is a type of meal ground from the dried maize. This is the main food that is ground to medium, fine and coarse consistencies but not fine as white flour.
In the US, very fine cornmeal is known as corn flour. If fine cornmeal is prepared from maize, it is soaked in an alkaline solution especially limewater. It is known as masa.
The mask is being used for preparing tortillas and tamales. The boiled cornmeal is known as polenta.