The Shantung is a restaurant dish that has been integrated into Chinese homes later, and now, it is a worldwide savory item. Today, our chef will discuss the secret to prepare the Shantung chicken wings with a simple, easy step.
Furthermore, we will have suggestions on garnishing and servicing this delicious recipe to entertain guests and family members.
So, let's go-
Prep time: 15 Minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Servings: 2 to 4 people
Cooking difficulty: Intermediate
Servings: 6 people
The Shantung wings are high in protein and calories. You will yield 431 calories, 15 grams of carbs, 32 grams of protein, and 27 grams of fat. It also contains a minimal amount of sodium and potassium.
Ingredients for coating:
- 2-1/2 pounds of chicken wings
- ½ cup of soy sauce (light)
- 1 tablespoon of caster sugar and apple cider vinegar
- 2 pieces of thinly sliced red chili
- 1/3 cup of plain or all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of ground white pepper
- Shredded ginger up to 2 teaspoons
- Peanut oil
- Fresh coriander and sea salt flakes, for garnishing and serves
The Cooking Steps Are-
Once you are ready with all the ingredients, you can follow our steps to cook the famous Chinese yummy tasty recipe's chicken wings.
- At first, you have to prepare the chicken wings. The chicken wings idea is to use them in a bone-less state. Thus, remove the tip and cut the wings in the wingettes and drumettes joining part.
- The next step is to prepare the marinating ingredients. Take a mixing bowl. Make sure its top can be locked.
- Add the soy sauce with cider vinegar, caster sugar, chili, white and black pepper, and shredded ginger.
- Lock the jar's top and shake the items well to ensure that these items have appropriately mixed. Keep the jar in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour and 30 minutes. It allows the flavors of the different ingredients to mix well.
- In another bowl, combine white pepper and all-purpose flour. Mix salt slightly for seasoning purposes. Mix them well with your hands.
- Then, toss the chicken wings with the mixed flour. Shake them to get rid of the excess coating. You have to ensure that the coating is light and not thick.
- You have to work with a deep-fry pan now. Add oil in it until it reaches at least 10cm. Heat the oil at 180°C. You can use an instant thermometer to check the oil temperature.
- Now, deep fry the chicken wings for at least 15 minutes. You have to fry the wings in several batches to ensure the proper doneness.
- In a separate saucepan, simmer the sauce and mixture for 2 to 3 minutes until it becomes thick in texture.
- Now, pour the thick sauce over the fried chicken and garnish it with coriander leaves and sea salt flakes.
We have used peanut oil here. You can use olive oil too. Also, make sure the chicken pieces are small enough for frying.
Do's and Don'ts
- Many people suggest cutting the wings after frying. It is not a good idea since the wings will be hot, and you may burn the fingers.
- Don't simmer the sauce and seasoning items for too long. It would become bitter.
What makes this recipe different?
Shantung is made of authentic Chinese restaurant style recipe. It has less spice and a deep frying flavor that savors into the mouth with a smooth taste.
San Tung Chicken Wings Recipe (Crispy Sweet and Spicy Wings)
Shantung chicken wings recipe is indeed a delicious menu. You can prepare the sauce overnight and use it to toss the friend chicken wings for parties. You will be surprised to see how everyone endeavors the wings and appreciate your cooking style.