Chicken thighs and drumsticks from Buffalo chickens tend to be drier and leaner than chicken breast flesh. Plus, they're a better option for individuals trying to monitor their calorie intake because they have fewer calories per serving. Buffalo chickens can be prepared in a variety of ways.
Cooking can be done in a wide variety of ways, including but not limited to roasting, sautéing, grilling, baking, poaching, stewing, braising, bbq-ing, deep frying, smoking, and microwaving. Although stir-frying, curry, and soups all require heat, there are dozens of other methods to prepare them.
What is Buffalo Chicken?
Buffalo Chickens are a great source of lean protein and iron but contain some fat. However, cooking them properly helps reduce their fat content and makes them healthier overall. This article will show you how to cook Buffalo Chicken recipes perfectly.
Chicken contains B vitamins, selenium, zinc, vitamin D, and omega-3 fatty acids. In addition, it has less saturated fat than beef or pork, and its high fiber content keeps you feeling full longer.
How to make marination for Buffalo Chicken?
Testing marinades for buffalo chicken came next. However, let me start by saying how big of a fan of marinades I am. They need next to no effort on your part and yield chicken that is soft, juicy, and brimming with flavor. However, a marinade is essential for bringing out the meat's full flavor.
At first, I tried simply marinating the chicken in Buffalo Hot Wings Sauce, some honey, lime, and a rainbow of spices, but it was lacking.
Now we have dynamite, wonderful Buffalo Chicken because I saved some of the marinade, mixed in some extra honey and lime, and glazed the cooked chicken with it. I've eaten too many late-night chicken sandwiches to count because I just can't get to sleep without this chicken.
What kind of chicken should you use?
Since they are tiny enough to be shredded easily, boneless, skinless chicken breast tenders are my go-to.
It's easier to cook through and shred if you cut whole chicken breasts into quarters. They do not always cook uniformly when full chicken breasts are stacked in an instant pot. Spreading them out as much as possible before placing them in the instant pot will help ensure even cooking.
Chicken breasts from the freezer can be cooked in a pressure cooker for 20 minutes at high pressure, followed by a rapid release.
Tools/Equipment You'll Need
This recipe requires a large instant pot or skillet (if you want to deep fry). Use two pans if your pan isn't big enough for the chicken thighs. It would help if you had a cutting board and another large bowl. Make sure you keep all ingredients at room temperature.
Prep Time: 6 mins
Cook Time: 14 mins
Total Time: 20 mins
Servings: 8 servings
Course: dinner, main course
Cuisine: American, Asian
- ½ cup soy sauce, low sodium preferred
- 2 ½ tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Two tablespoons honey
- One tablespoon of sesame oil
- Six cloves garlic grated
- One teaspoon gochujang hot pepper paste or use Sriracha hot sauce
- One tablespoon ginger grated
- One teaspoon of kosher salt
- Eight boneless skinless chicken thighs fat trimmed
- Two scallions sliced for garnish
- One teaspoon of sesame seeds for garnish
- Preheat the fryer to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Poke some holes in the chicken with a fork so the marinade may enter.
- Put the marinade ingredients into a small bowl and mix them thoroughly with a whisk. Keep the marinade aside, about a quarter cup's worth.
- Combine the marinade ingredients, then pour over the chicken. Toss to coat, then cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 8 hours. If you aren't going to cook the chicken within 2 hours, put it in the fridge.
- Take four chicken thighs out of the marinade and put them in the air fryer; this will require two batches.
- Put the chicken in the oven for 8 minutes, then turn it over and cook for another 6 minutes. Finally, pull it out and put it to one side.
- Please proceed with the remaining chicken.
- While the chicken is in the fryer, put the sauce you saved in a small saucepan and cooked it over low heat until it gets thick and reduces by approximately half, about 2 minutes. Put aside.
- Combine the chicken with your preferred accompaniments, then top with the sauce and garnish with green onions and sesame seeds.
Calories: 186kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 107mg | Sodium: 1204mg | Potassium: 340mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 58IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 24mg | Iron: 1mg
Chicken breasts, without their bones and skin, can be used instead. In order to use the quick pot, simply chop each potato into quarters.
Frozen chicken breasts can be used; the cooking time should be increased to 20 minutes, followed by a rapid release.
The dish freezes beautifully. Place the chicken and any leftover liquids in a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to two months.
Prep time: 10 min
Cook Time: 20 min
Serving: 20 meatballs
Cooking Difficulty: Easy
Course: Main course
Calories: 52 calories
- Calories 52Calories from Fat 18
- Fat 2g3%
- Cholesterol 14mg5%
- Sodium 141mg6%
- Potassium 97mg3%
- Carbohydrates 1g0%
- Protein 6g12%
- Vitamin A 705IU14%
- Vitamin C 0.7mg1%
- Calcium 16mg2%
- Iron 0.3mg2%
- As for the chicken, I'm using two pounds of bone-in, skin-on thighs.
- Seasoning salt and pepper for flavoring and spicing.
- Olive oil, I like to use olive oil since it has a mild flavor that complements the chicken.
- Mustard - I've got both yellow mustard and Dijon grainy mustard in my fridge right now.
- Honey is a flavorful component.
- Six minced fresh cloves of garlic
- 1 1/2 tablespoons or one fresh clove
- For more heat, sprinkle on some red pepper flakes.
- Start by setting the air fryer temperature to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare the chicken and sauce per the recipe's directions, and brush the chicken with the sauce.
- Arrange the chicken thighs in a single layer, skin side up, in the basket of an air fryer.
- Brown and cook the chicken in an air fryer for 18 to 20 minutes.
- The chicken thighs are done when an instant-read thermometer registers 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
COOK TIME: 22 mins
TOTAL TIME: 22 mins
CALORIES: 204 kcal
EQUIPMENT: Air Fryer, Juicer, Kitchen Thermometer
- Four boneless skinless chicken breasts
- black pepper (optional)
- ⅓ cup orange juice
- One tablespoon of lemon juice, fresh squeezed (from 1 lemon)
- One tablespoon of lime juice, fresh squeezed (from 1 lime)
- One tablespoon of orange zest
- ½ tablespoon lemon zest
- ½ tablespoon lime zest
- One tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- One teaspoon cumin
- Three cloves garlic, minced
- The marinade for the chicken should be prepared first. Then, squeeze the citrus fruits and use the zest to flavor the dish.
- Combine the minced garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, and cumin. After that, there's nothing left to do to your marinade.
- Wrap or seal your chicken breasts in plastic wrap or use a Ziplock bag to store them in the fridge. Get the chicken wholly submerged in the marinade.
- Seal the zip lock bag (or cover the container) and let the chicken marinade be in the refrigerator for 4-8 hours. If the chicken is not entirely soaked in the marinade, turn it in every few hours.
- Allow the air fryer to preheat for 5 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius).
- Put the chicken on the hot fryer trays and get rid of the marinade. Two chicken breasts would fit in a single tray.
- Marinate the chicken and air-fried it at 350°F (175°C) for 12 minutes. Then, turn the chicken over using a spatula and swap the trays' positions in the air fryer. Add another 8-10 minutes of air-frying time.
- Let the chicken rest for about 10 minutes before serving. Black pepper can be used as a garnish.
How do I know when my chicken is done?
Using a meat thermometer is the only surefire method of checking whether or not the chicken is cooked all the way through. The internal temperature of cooked chicken should register between 165 and 175 degrees Fahrenheit on a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest portion of the bird. Due to the minerals in the bones, whole chicken on the bone might sometimes be somewhat pink even after being cooked for the recommended amount of time.
Why Should you choose the recipe?
Fewer micronutrients are found in turkey, yet it still has many of the same health benefits as chicken. Buffalo Chicken is an excellent source of lean protein, with only 170 calories and 21 grams of protein per 4-ounce serving. Maintaining muscle mass is impossible without protein, which is crucial for cell structure, metabolic function, and nutrition delivery.
B vitamins, especially niacin (B6), are abundant in Turkey. Niacin is essential for the body to produce energy and communicate with its cells. In addition, it's a great source of selenium, a mineral that plays a crucial role in maintaining a healthy metabolism.
What should I serve with the recipe?
A picnic without fried chicken isn't complete, and neither is a Sunday supper without it. So my family and I enjoy a robust lunch of fried chicken thighs, mashed potatoes prepared in advance, green garlic beans, and homemade biscuits.
Hot or cold, these fried chicken thighs satisfy your hunger, making them ideal for picnics and other outdoor gatherings. Serve with traditional American accompaniments such as Creamy Walnut Coleslaw, Fruit Salad, Lemon Herb Red Potato Salad, Bacon Green Bean Salad, and Creamy Cornbread Casserole.
Things you should avoid
When cooking Buffalo Chickens, avoid adding too much onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, paprika, cayenne pepper, oregano, basil, thyme, rosemary, sage, bay leaves, black peppercorns, and nutmeg. These ingredients can mask the flavor of the meatball, making them bland.
Also, do not use all butter when sauteeing the meatballs. Instead, use only half the butter and add some olive oil. This will prevent the meatballs from sticking together, which would be difficult to break apart once cooked.
How to Store?
Any leftover fried chicken should be stored in a sealed plastic bag or container in the fridge. They can be kept for up to four days without becoming bad. To reheat the fried chicken, place the pieces on a baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for around 20 minutes. Raising the temperature will keep the crispness for longer.
The chicken can be frozen after it has cooled completely and stored in an airtight container or freezer bag. Use within four months of freezing for optimal quality. Refrigerate overnight to defrost, then reheat as directed above.
The safest way to thaw a frozen whole Buffalo Chicken or frozen Buffalo Chicken pieces is in the refrigerator. One day of thawing is required for every four pounds of frozen poultry. Plan, especially considering the time needed to brine the turkey.
Expert Tips about the recipe
- One frequent technique for preventing fried chicken breading from flaking off is to let the chicken lie on a baking sheet after cooking.
- If you're dredging the chicken in buttermilk and flour, dust off any excess before patting it dry. After shaking off the excess flour, pat the chicken dry before cooking.
- Make sure the chicken is not overcrowded in the pan when frying it. Crowding the oven will lower the temperature, preventing a golden, crisp surface from forming.
- If you have a lot of chicken thighs to fry, you might knock off the breading when you flip the one next to it.
Is there a lot of heat in this Buffalo chicken dish?
The chicken by itself isn't overly spicy but has a lot of flavors, making this dish suitable for the whole family. To adjust the spice level of the chicken to your liking, simply add more or less of the glaze. In any case, everyone eats chicken. For a while now, I've been itching to make that statement.
BUFFALO CHICKEN: WAYS TO PERSONALIZE THE CLASSIC MEAL
- Thighs can be substituted for breasts. However, the cooking time will need to be modified.
- More glaze means less mild flavor in the chicken. Inversely, the less glaze there is, the cooler it is.
- For spicier chicken, try Franks Hot WINGS Sauce; for less heat, go with the original Franks Hot Sauce.
- Apply some of your preferred barbecue sauce to the chicken and try basting it.
- Chicken is a fantastic choice if you're making sandwiches, wraps, salads, tacos, or anything else that calls for sliced or chopped meat.
Suggestions for Preparation
- The fried boneless Buffalo Chicken pieces can be used to make the best Buffalo Chicken club sandwich with any leftovers, or you can try any of the other delicious recipes below.
- The spice mixture can be prepared a week ahead of time and kept in an airtight container at room temperature.
- The day before, prepare the seasoned flour in a baking dish. (The buttermilk mixture should not be added until the food is ready to be cooked.) Store unrefrigerated and covered.
- Since bringing a Buffalo Chicken for 8 hours overnight, you should do the prep work the day before. Maintain cold storage.
How long does it take to cook?
Cooking Buffalo Chicken takes about 60 minutes to marinate, and they taste great. The key to cooking them is using a slow cooker. If you don't want to use a slow cooker, you should preheat your oven to 350°F for 20 minutes. Then place your Buffalo Chickens inside the range for 10 to 15 minutes.
Reheating Buffalo Chicken Without Overcooking It
- Chicken can be reheated in several methods, but the two most frequent are the oven and the microwave.
- Before putting anything in the oven, ensure it's preheated to 325 degrees Fahrenheit and that a baking sheet has been lined with aluminum foil. Wrap the chicken tightly in aluminum foil by placing it in the middle and bringing the sides up (brushing with a bit of olive oil before wrapping in foil will also help to keep the chicken crispy on the outside). Wait until the interior temperature reads 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- You can cook the chicken in the microwave by placing it in a dish that can withstand the high temperatures inside the microwave. Once more, brushing the chicken with olivoilil will keep it juicy while it cooks. Microwave on high for 2–3 minutes at a time, covered, until the interior temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit. The chemicals from regular plastic wrap could leach into the chicken if you wrap it in it.
I noticed that using 99% lean Buffalo Chicken in this recipe results in the meatballs is a bit drier, but they have less fat and are lighter.
If you use 94% fat ground turkey, these meatballs are juicy.
Don't be alarmed by the extra fat that melts off while they bake. If you use 94% ground turkey, remove them from the pan, and wipe off any excess liquid.
Variations you can make:
It's simple to discover alternatives that will produce the same number of servings if you're unable to locate or don't want to utilize specific Buffalo Chicken parts.
- You can adjust the seasonings to your liking. Try it with Cajun seasoning, lemon pepper, dry adobo, or your unique mixture of spices in place of the standard blend. Sometimes all you need to make a delicious fried Buffalo Chicken is salt and pepper.
- For a peppery bite, add cayenne to the spice mix; for milder heat, consider Aleppo pepper or ancho chili powder. Adding hot sauce to the buttermilk brine adds a smoky, spicy flavor, but if you use a lot, you may want to cut back on the salt content.
- There are several alternatives to buttermilk that can be used in its stead.
- Use cornstarch in place of approximately a fourth of the flour for a more delicate crunch.
- The Buffalo Chicken can alternatively be deep-fried in a large Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot with about 2 inches of oil. With this procedure, the Buffalo Chicken can be ready to eat sooner than usual, so keep an eye on it.
What Makes This Recipe So Great?
The crispy fried Buffalo Chicken Recipe is great for those who love spicy food. The main ingredients include fresh ground turkey, cooked rice, cheese sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, and crushed red peppers. This recipe has less fat than other recipes and is easy to prepare.
Why did I choose this recipe?
The crispy fried Buffalo Chicken Recipe is delicious and healthy. This recipe has all the essential ingredients for a great meal - protein, fiber, vitamins, minerals, and fat. All these nutrients help keep you full longer and boost your energy levels. Also, with fewer calories and fat, you'll feel fuller faster. This is my so favorite to choose from again and again.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Do I need to remove the Buffalo Chicken skin?
Although the skin adds flavor and texture to fried chicken, it may not be the most excellent choice for fried Buffalo Chicken because of its thicker, rubberier consistency.
2. Does the seasoned flour have a hint of baking powder?
If you follow the proportions in the recipe, the baking powder should be completely flavorless. Try switching to an aluminum-free baking powder if you have doubts.
3. To what end are eggs being used in a buttermilk brine?
Because of the eggs, the Buffalo Chicken stays coated. They help to cover.
4. How do you get Buffalo Chicken meatballs to stick together?
You can use breadcrumbs, egg yolks, and milk to make them more sticky.
5. How do you keep meatballs moist after cooking?
You can store them in an airtight container for up to three days.
These Buffalo Chickens are delicious, easy, and, best of all, made from the leftover Buffalo Chicken from your holiday dinner. You can make a big batch of these and serve them to your friends and family for your next party or freeze them for a quick and easy dinner down the road. We hope you enjoy this recipe. Please share it with your friends and family, and if you end up making it, don't forget to take a picture.