Crispy chickens are the best and the air fryer makes them to perfection. There is a standard for cooking air-fried chicken.
In my opinion, it should be well seasoned, crunchy outside, and not overly thick, it should not also be too greasy or juicy. In fact, you should almost forget that your chicken is fried as it has little oil.
Thanks to an air fryer, you can make your own crisp chicken in just minutes. Plus you don’t have to worry about the hot mess and splurge. Also, you can get your chicken ready in about 10 minutes or less.
Table of Contents
How to Make Crispy Air Fryer Fried Chicken Breast
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast: Pound the chicken so that every area is equal to encourage even heat distribution and cooking. If some areas are thinner than others, the thin area will dry out.
- Flour or whole wheat breadcrumbs: The base of the crunchy coating of the recipe. However, whole wheat bread is an excellent option because they adhere more quickly to the chicken. But deep fry it into an egg first to allow the bread to stick.
- Parmesan: Half-grated Parmesan ensures the chicken tastes satisfying.
- Buttermilk: Adds flavor and helps the flour mixture adhere to the chicken.
- Cajun Seasoning: Full of flavor, it’s perfect for chicken.
- Garlic Powder and Onion Powder for extra flavor
- Paprika for color and flavor
- A pinch of cayenne.
- 1 teaspoon of oil per 1/2 pound of chicken.
- Garlic powder
How to Make Crispy Air Fryer Chicken
Making crispy chicken with an air fryer is easy. Start by seasoning the chicken with salt and pepper. Then add buttermilk and egg in a small bowl and whisk. Add flour, onion powder, garlic, paprika, salt, and pepper in another bowl.
Use a tong to dredge the chicken on the flour, followed by the buttermilk. Then, the flour.
Place in the air fryer and basket and cook for fifteen to twenty minutes at 360 degrees F.
Open the air fryer basket and spray some oil on it. Turn the chicken and cook for five to ten minutes or until the instant meat temperature reads 165 degrees F.
Tips for the Best Air Fried Chicken
Below are some helpful tips to ensure you make the best crispy air fryer chicken.
- Never overcrowd your air fryer with food. Space food out to allow air to penetrate else it will not be evenly cooked as there will be cold or hot spots. If the food quantity is large, cook in batches. Ensure to keep the already-cooked meal warm in a 200-degree F oven while you cook the other batch.
- Cooking time may vary depending on your air fryer model. To ensure your chicken is well cooked, insert an instant meat thermometer. The thermometer will read 165 degrees F if the food is well cooked.
- Ensure to use oil spray on the chicken parts that are covered and uncooked. This will prevent the chicken from tasting like flour.
- Use a parchment liner on the air fryer before placing your chicken.
What to Serve with Air Fryer Fried Chicken
You can eat air-fried chicken with any of the following:
- Mashed Potatoes or baked potato
- Roasted vegetable
- Sautéed veggies- cabbage, sprouts, Brussels, carrot, etc.
- Dipping Sauce
- Pickled Onions are a great combination, especially yummy paired with all-American classics like fried chicken.
A fryer won’t just give you a crispy chicken, it will also make it golden seasoned outside, tender, juicy, and full of flavor inside. This is how the chicken is supposed to be.
If your chicken is not fully coated before frying, it will not be crispy. To fix it, after coating the chicken, allow the mixture to dry first before air frying, ten minutes will do.
Welcome to Cooking Hacks, a place for all the food lovers out there! I have always been passionate about cooking and finding new ways to make it easier and more enjoyable.