Different seasons call for different recipes. Whether in fall, winter, summer, or spring, there is always a recipe that blends right in.
Spending time in the kitchen, with the rocketing heat, can be very unpleasant, especially in summer. It's relieving to know that brats recipes are super easy to make.
Brats sausage, though it differs in regions in flavor, and quality has remained one of the fastest recipes to make. Learning how to cook brats in an air fryer is easy and healthier than deep-frying in numerous ways.
What Are Brats?
Popularly known as Bratwurst, brats are a variety of German sausage commonly made from pork and is dated back as far as 228AD. However, other varieties are made from veal and beef. Moreover, brats sausages are loaded with lots of vitamins and nutrients that are beneficial to health. It is enclosed in a simple thin casing filled with meat stuffing.
The term “Bratwurst” is a combination of two German words brats and wurst. “Brat” means finely chopped meat. On the other hand, “Wurst” simply means sausage, a word related to a modern German verb “braten," which means to roast or pan-fry.
Brats are fresh link sausages sold raw and are available in supermarkets. The best ways to enjoy brats is by grilling, boiling, frying, or baking it. It is usually made with pork and veal and seasoned with nutmeg, ginger, coriander, or other aromatic seasonings. However, traditional brats are seasoned with fresh marjoram, which is synonymous with oregano.
Easy Air Fryer Beer Brats
Brats made on the air fryer can be appetizing as they are juicy, delicious, and effortless to make. It only needs to be cooked for less than 20 minutes.
Air fryer Bratwurst can be served with sautéed peppers and onions, cabbage, and cold broccoli salad.
So, let’s move on to the recipe proper.
- 1 cup diced onion
- Air fryer
- Start with taking the brats out of the fridge 5-10 minutes before cooking.
- Then, boil your brats in beer and onion for 5 minutes.
- Transfer them to the air fryer to cook on 360°F, no need to preheat your air fryer. This temperature will help in keeping them plumb while retaining the tasty juice inside.
- Again, to make brats brown, space them out on a single layer.
- Remember to flip them over after 10 minutes to ensure all sides are properly cooked.
- Cook for a maximum of 20 minutes.
Air Fryer Bratwurst and Vegetables
Air fryer brats and vegetable recipe is one in a million sumptuous and nourishing meals. It is at the top of the favorites list:
- 1 Red Bell pepper
- 1 Green Bell pepper
- 1 Onion (cut into wedges)
- 1lb potato (cut into quarter)
- Green beans (chopped)
- ½ teaspoon of oregano seasoning
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- Four fresh bratwurst
- Air fryer
- Rinse the veggies and cut them up.
- Rinse and dice the onion too.
- Cut the potatoes into quarters.
- Line the bottom of the air fryer with the foil.
- Place and spread the vegetables on it.
- Spice up the veggies.
- Top the veggies with your brats.
- Cook on 390°F and set to cook.
- Mix the brats with the veggies 10 minutes into the cooking time to ensure the brats are cook evenly on all sides.
- Cook for a maximum of 20 minutes. This will keep the veggies fresh and retain its nutrients.
Air Fryer Brats | Bratwurst | Air Fryer Recipes
How to Cook Brats in an Air Fryer (FAQs)
1. Do I Need to Boil Brats Before Cooking Them?
Boiling brats helps release the meat flavor. However, brats should not be boiled just in any manner. If you need to boil your brats, in a non-stick pan, steam them in a simmering beer and onion slices.
If you intend grilling your bratwurst, then do not boil them in beer or any other liquid. Beer is alcoholic and flammable on its own. Putting it over fire or flame will be disastrous.
2. What Temperature Should I Cook a Brat To?
Bratwursts can be fried, grilled, boiled, baked, or cooked. Whichever method you choose to use in getting your brats ready, the temperature should never exceed 400°F. Higher than that, the juice in the brats will be sucked up by the heat, leaving it dry and unpleasant to taste.
3. How Long Do Cooked Brats Last?
Leftover brats sausage stored in the fridge can last for three to four days. When stored in the freezer, they can last for over two or three months.
4. What Should You Put on Brats Before Serving?
There are a hundred and one toppings that can change your bratwurst to a more nourishing and savory dish. You can add cheese curds, marinara sauce, buffalo sauce, blue cheese, Swiss cheese, and cocktail sauce.
5. How Should Bratwurst Look When Done?
One easy way to know when your brats is done is to stick a meat thermometer into the oven or air fryer. If it reads between 145-160 degrees, then it is perfectly done. Another way is by poking. If they are floppy, they are not done yet. But, if they are firm when poked, they are excellent and ready to go.
This is the way of How to Cook Brats in an Air Fryer. Brats are German sausages made from pork and veal, stuffed in thin bags. There are numerous methods of preparing Bratwurst; grilling, boiling, frying, and baking. Despite the method, brats are best enjoyed when they are simmering hot.
They do not only taste great, but several dishes can be served up alongside them. Some of these dishes are sauerkraut, grilled corn on the cob, and potato pancakes, to mention a few.
Learning how to make brats in an air fryer helps eliminate the use of oil in the sausage-making as brats sausage in itself has a lot of oil content.
Chester’s expertise in air fryer cooking stems from her belief that air frying is one of the healthiest and most convenient cooking methods. Her recipes are designed to make the most of the air fryer’s unique cooking properties, producing crispy and delicious meals without excessive oil.