Baking a potato is smooth, but baking it in an air fryer is more comfortable than most people think. Somehow, that equipment works wonders on potatoes. It makes them perfect, crispy, and the best of it all is it uses less oil in preparing it. Nothing beats an air fried baked potato. At least, to many.
Ever tried to fry with air? If you haven't tasted some baked or roasted potatoes in an air fryer, then you are missing a great breakfast. People who have baked potatoes in an air fryer couldn't help but fall in love with their air fryers because the results were terrific. So in this article, you will be learning more about how to bake a potato in an air fryer.
You should get yourself ready for some awesome baking experience after reading this potato baking recipes for an air fryer.
What Type of Potato is Best For Baking?
Many types of potatoes are suitable for baking, but none is as good as russet potatoes. They have tender skin that will hold the potato in place. Their high starch content makes it non-stick and good material for you to add your favorite toppings.
How to Make Air fryer Baked Potatoes
Baking potatoes is one of those air fryer recipes that doesn't require a lot of details or expertise and is much quicker than you can imagine. It will take about 30 - 40 minutes to get it prepared for one serving.
- 1 - 4 medium russet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon of coarse sea or kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- Make sure you wash and dry the potatoes so that they can get crispier while baking.
- Pierce the potatoes with a fork or with a sharp knife for about three times max. This is to release some steam during the baking.
- Rub or sprinkle some olive oil all over the skin of the potatoes.
- Add some salt on top.
- Preheat the air fryer to about 380°F to hasten the cooking process.
- Put the potatoes in the basket of the fryer. Don’t overload the basket because doing so will reduce the amount of air circulating between the potatoes. This will lead to uneven and half-baked potatoes at the end.
- Cook for up to 40 minutes, or set the air fryer to reach the internal temperature of 205°F. Sometimes, you may cook for 40 minutes, and the temperature will not get to 205°F. That is why you need to be more observant when reaching this stage.
- You can turn the potatoes during cooking to ensure that all the sides are browny. Slice open the potato with a fork.
- Add your favorite toppings and serve.
- Baking time will depend on a variety of factors, such as the fryer's capacity, how large the potatoes are, and the quantity you plan on cooking at the same time.
- Always use the internal temperature of 205°F to access how cooked the potatoes are. This is a more accurate determinant.
Toppings For Baked Potatoes
Having some baked potatoes for breakfast is incomplete without adding some of your favorite toppings. It's best to serve your baked potatoes while it's still hot so that th toppings can melt properly. This way, you can enjoy your delicious potatoes better.
Below are toppings you can add on your baked potatoes:
- Italian Sausage
- Chopped Bacon
- Broccoli and Cheddar
- Barbecue sauce
- Chopped pork
- Sour cream
- Seasonings like Bagel
Tips For Making Air fryer Baked Potatoes
- Make sure the skin of the potato is dry enough. The drier it is, the crispier the potato will get while it’s frying.
- Use an instant-read thermometer to check the internal temperature of the potato while baking. The internal temperature is best at 205 degrees Fahrenheit. At this temperature, the potato will look light and fluffy inside.
- Cook the potato for a longer time if it’s necessary.
Baking Potato in an Air fryer vs. Baking Potato in the Oven: Which Is Better?
Long before air fryers became popular demand, ovens were literally used for baking all kinds of food. However, ovens have its shortfalls, and now fall below the pecking order when it comes to baking or roasting food.
Baking potato in an air fryer makes it crispier, thoroughly baked, and flavorful. On the other hand, baking in the oven makes the potato unattractive, uneven, and somewhat half-baked. A perfectly baked potato is attractive and light, unlike ovens that leave the inside with an unattractive finish.
Using an air fryer saves time, and makes a whole lot of cooking pretty much more comfortable. Air fryers speed up cooking time by about 20 minutes, which is 2 - 3x faster than ovens. While some ovens are swift in cooking, getting that crispy and delicious taste is nearly impossible, and not the same as using an air fryer.
The best of it all is using an air fryer results in healthier cooking. Less oil is used, which results in less fat and calories.
How to Know if a Baked Potato is Ready
There are many ways to know if a baked potato is ready. Once it’s light and downy, then it's clear that you should get ready to switch off your air fryer and munch your delicious meal.
Another way to determine if your baked potato is ready is the crispy texture on the outside. Most properly baked potatoes have a crispy, scenting texture, and a golden finish, instead of an uneven texture.
The most common and probably the most accurate way of knowing if a baked potato is ready is the internal temperature. Once it has hit 205 degrees Fahrenheit, the inside of the potato will look fluffy. At this point, you can remove it from the basket.
Air Fryer Steakhouse Baked Potato ~ The BEST Baked Potato
How to Bake a Potato in an Air Fryer FAQs
Can I Make a Baked Potato in the Air fryer?
Just like how you bake in the oven, it’s possible to do so in an air fryer. Any potato baking recipe would work in an air fryer. Besides, baking in an air fryer will save you some time and oil, while making the potato crispier, which is the best part of a baked potato.
Do You Need to Pierce Potatoes in an Air fryer Before Cooking?
Piercing potatoes before cooking, provide them with enough circulation. If they are too crowded, you will deny them the air that they need, which results in improperly or half-baked potatoes.
How Many Baked Potatoes Can You Make in an Air fryer?
There is no specificity regarding the number of potatoes you can make in an air fryer. You can make as many baked potatoes possible, as long as it tallies with the fryer's capacity.
How Long Does It Take to Cook Baked Potatoes in an Air fryer?
The length of time you can use to cook baked potatoes in an air fryer depends on the capacity of the air fryer, the size of the potatoes, and the quantity you want to cook at the same time.
Typically, it takes less than 40 minutes to cook baked potatoes in an air fryer. It could take longer based on the factors that were earlier mentioned.
Are Air-fried Potatoes Healthy?
Why Do You Soak Potatoes in Water Before Frying?
What Can I Make in My Air fryer?
Can I Put Aluminum Foil in the Air fryer?
Air fryers are amazingly good at almost everything you throw into their baskets. They are excellent at making yummy and crispy meals at a much quicker time from cooking French fries to potato chips. When compared to standard frying and oven, the difference is evident in the results.
Thank you for reading this article on how to bake a potato in an air fryer. I’m sure you all found this air fried baked potato tutorial easy and straightforward. You should go and try baking your first potato in an air fryer if you are yet to try it.