Cornish hens is classified as small Turkey. They are used for entertaining your family or a group of people. Cornish hen is available at the butcher or frozen meat store. You can use an electric fryer to fry the hen since it is small. You don't have to use a big boss's fryer.
Deep-fried Cornish hens have a golden brown body and juicy tenderness. You can store them in the freezer if you can't finish them at once. Deep frying Cornish hen is almost the same as deep-frying a whole Turkey. Cornish hens have been bred for many years in a particular environment with unique characteristics that allow them to thrive in that environment.
Cornish hen vs. Chicken
Cornish hen is feminine and differs a little from chicken. Cornish hen and chicken taste alike, but Cornish hen is smaller than chicken. Cornish hens are more tender than chicken when cooked, and are best for individual serving. Cornish hen has the same taste like chicken, since it is still a chicken, just that it's smaller.
Cornish hen is very small and is best suited for individuals. But a chicken can serve up to 3-4 people. You can decide to grill or roast a Cornish hen. You can also spice it with spice rub or marinade.
Cornish hens are smaller than chicken, so they have less fat and calories. Cornish hen has white meat than red meat. Both Cornish hen and chicken (poultry meat) are rich in protein and to build muscles. They also produce Vitamin B that helps to cure heart diseases and skin diseases.Poultry meat also produces Vitamin D, which strengthens the bone and vitamin A which helps the eyes.
How to Cook Cornish hen
Cornish hen is easy to prepare. It doesn't require too much seasoning and comes out tender and juicy. Cornish hen goes alone or with side dishes.
What you need to cook
- Cornish hen
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- Spices and herbs (if you wish)
- Canola or peanut oil
- Red pepper flakes
- Cayenne pepper
- Thyme sprigs
- All-purpose flour
Step by step process
- Choose your oil: choose the kind of oil you wish to use; peanut, canola, or vegetable oil. These are neutral oils that have a high smoke point and works well at high temperature. However, peanut oil is conventional because of the peanut flavor it adds to the meat.
- Choose your pot: if you aren't using an electric fryer, choose a heavy bottom pan for frying. Fill up the pan with oil, but not to the brim. Ensure you leave space for the meat to stay in the pot without spilling the oil.
- Wrap the Cornish hen with black pepper all over.
- Heat your fryer to about 350°F. You can use a popcorn kernel to test the oil. Drop the grain into the oil, and if it pops, then the temperature is just fine.
- Put the hen into the pot and leave for 10 minutes. Turn the hen over to allow the other side to fry also. Bring out the hen and use a meat thermometer to check if it is well cooked. Make sure not to touch the bone, but the hardest part of the hen. Once it is well prepared, you can remove it and set aside.
- You can serve your Cornish hen with sauce, or you can enjoy it alone. Garlic powder helps to counter the effect of black pepper and gives the hen a form of scent.
Tips for deep fry Cornish hens
- When pouring the oil into the pot, make sure it is not too full. It is to avoid oil spillage when the hen is immersed in it. To reduce spilling also, you can turn off the fryer before putting the hen.
- Your oil must be heated up to about 375°F before you put the Cornish hen.
- Be careful while trying. Deep frying can cause a kitchen accident that leads to a fire outbreak.
- Ensure you have a glove with you to bring down the pot to prevent burn.
Nutrition of Cornish Hen vs. Chicken
Considering that Cornish hens are Younger than hens, they include less fat and fewer calories. They are also Very lean as they made up of white meat than red meat. Full of niacin, whereas the dark meat is abundant in riboflavin.
All poultry are plentiful in protein that’s vital for the maturation of our muscles. Fantastic source of B vitamins which help prevent skin ailments, and Heart Ailments. Vitamin D aids strengthen the bone while vitamin A is important for good vision.
Seasoning and Serving Suggestions
Enhance to the saline a tablespoon of oregano that counterbalances the salt then pervade the meat by a somewhat bittersweet taste.
Use garlic power to brand a skin and mustard before frying informs a pungent, piquant savor which accompaniments black pepper well.
Serve hens cleave or whole them in half lengthwise. Keep them on a bed of steamed carrots or with the red onions soaked in butter and rice pilaf with dill and lemon juice.
Enhance a side of bottle green vegetables such as green beans, asparagus or Brussels sprouts to finish the meal.
Video on How to deep Fry Cornish Hens
How Long do You Deep Fry Cornish Hens (FAQs)
1. How long does it take to deep fry a chicken?
Deep frying a chicken takes about 4-5 minutes. The oil has to be heated up to 350°F to fey the chicken. To know if the chicken is well cooked, use a meat thermometer to check the hardest part of the meat.
2. How do I know when my Cornish hen is done?
The hen will be golden brown. Cook for about 15 minutes till you notice that the pieces are crispy. You can also use a meat thermometer to check.
3. Does Cornish hen lay eggs?
A Cornish hen lay small eggs per time. Their eggs are small and light brown. They do not lay more than 160 eggs in a year.
4. Is Cornish hen healthier than chicken?
Cornish hens have less fat and calories. They are healthy but can not serve more people at a time.
5. Do I need to cook my Cornish hen before frying?
You do not need to boil the hen first. The cooking process involves that you soak the chicken or hen first in a marinade containing buttermilk and spices. It would have covered what boiling would have done.
A deep fryer always comes with a temperature setting for you to be sure of the temperature you're using when cooking. You should make use of the temperature setting knob to set the temperature accurately. While frying and you need to add something in the pot, make sure you turn it off first.Cornish hens are nutritious and delicious. Their meat is tender and tasty. You can enjoy your Cornish hen alone or garnish with sauce. Cornish hens are like small Turkey, as they come in the same taste as a whole of Turkey. Cornish hen has no fat and calories; this makes it suitable for those that want to lose fat in their body.
- How Long Does It Take to Cook Chicken Fries in Air Fryer - January 10, 2023
- How to Deep Fry Eggplant with Less Oil!Easy Cooking Method - January 4, 2023
- Delicious Tyson Chicken Tenders: Easier than You Think! - December 15, 2022